Mike Hendrickson (’64) Posted on March 5th, 2009 by

Mike Hendrickson writes: “After graduating from GAC, I attended Luther Seminary in St Paul where I received my MDiv and a MTh in systematics.  I completed a clinical residency in Milwaukee and spent a few years in churches first in Luverne, MN and then in Minnetonka, MN.  I went to the University of Minnesota and completed a special PhD program in Higher Education and Educational Administration.  I ended up working on major federal grants that provided funds to establish the Foundation for Health Care Evaluation in Minneapolis.   I accepted a position at the University of Southern California and the Andrus Gerontology Center and Public Administration program as a member of the graduate faculty and as a senior research scientist.   In the late 1980’s I was involved in developing and designing the first assisted living facilities – creating one of the first national prototype facilities and programs.   From 1990 to 1997, I served as the CEO for a large geriatric health care system in Pennsylvania.  In 1998,  my wife and I moved to Monterey, California.  I continue to be active on a project basis; most recently I created a regional consortium entitled MBayGRC which is a virtual enterprise dedicated to developing the geriatric health care workforce and building innoviative geriatric programs and services in the central coast of CA.  You can visit our website at:  www.mbaygrc.com for a cast of characters.

“My early training in philosophy was key to preparing me for the balance of my life and activities.  In fact,  I found it interesting that when I taught graduate courses at USC, I could always identify those students who had a liberal arts background from those who did not.  And it would usually take me half of the course before I could get them to start thinking ‘outside of the box.’ ”

Mike Hendrickson was a part of the 2004 Nobel Conference on Aging, presenting one of the evening “Dialogues at Nobel.”